I use self hypnosis to change negative beliefs and I do this with affirmations and visualisation.
Recently I found myself being resentful of the time I spent at work. I didn’t even enjoy going to work anymore. This is a terribly stressful situation to be in because we spend most of the day at work. Glen Harrold
has some excellent self-hypnosis programs. However, you can do this on your own although it requires much practice. Start by:
- Being clear what it is you want to achieve. In my case I wanted to enjoy my work.
- Write down a supporting affirmation. My affirmation was “I now thoroughly enjoy my job and look forward to going to work”.
- Decide on what you will visualize. In my visualisations I always incorporate what I will see, hear and feel. In this case,
I saw myself telling my family how much I enjoy my job. I felt the joy of doing something I loved. I saw myself at work, happily going about my duties. I heard my work mates telling me how cheerful I was. I heard my bosses telling me what a good job I was doing
- Select the right relaxation technique for you. For this to work you need to be deeply relaxed.
This technique is simple and easy to remember.
- Sit in a quiet place and close your eyes. I prefer to sit because I tend to fall asleep when I lie down.
a deep breath in and hold it for a count of 4 (how quickly or slowly
you count is entirely up to you. Settle for a rate which is
- As you breathe out, imagine see or feel your whole body relaxing.
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3 three times.
- Now breathe normally but deeply and as you breathe out, relax your forehead.
- Repeat step 5, this time relaxing your jaw.
- Work your way down your body relaxing each part (neck, shoulders, back, arms, stomach, thighs and legs).
Use the following routine to deepen your state of relaxation:
- See or feel yourself standing at the top of a staircase. This staircase has 10 steps.
slowly step onto step 9. You might see yourself doing this or you might
just feel it or you might actually hear your foot connecting with the
next step down. As you get onto step 9 your body relaxes even more.
- Continue moving down, relaxing even more as you go until you reach the bottom step.
imagine yourself in a place where you feel safe and relaxed and
peaceful. This could be somewhere in your home or somewhere out in
nature. See whatever it is that you would see that lets you know you are
there. Hear whatever you hear and feel whatever it is you feel when you
are in that place. Don’t be concerned if you can’t do all three things
(see, hear or feel). Just go with what you can do.
The Self Hypnosis Process
- Start by repeating your affirmation to yourself up to 10 times.
- Then visualise your outcome.
- Repeat the affirmations and then the visualisation.
Coming out of trance
- Count slowly from 1 to 5
- At each count becoming more alert
- At the count of 5 open your eyes
Back to Hypnosis Page from Self Hypnosis
Back to Home Page