Radiation Protection Diet
The radiation protection diet is basically a
raw food diet
or a vegan diet designed to counter radiation effects.
years we have received a lot of conflicting information about nuclear
disasters and the spread of radiation contamination. The fact that the
Chernobyl nuclear accident contaminated many parts of Europe, Asia,
Northern Africa and North America is not well known . Milk, dairy and
other food products in Europe had increased levels of the radionuclides
I-131 and Cs-137 . Studies done on animals following the Chernobyl
fallout showed that they were heavily contaminated with Caesium-137 .
Some 25 years later, animals in certain European areas still show
increased radiation levels . More recently we had the the Japanese
nuclear disaster but its spread of contamination and its effects will
not be known for some time.
The further you get from the source of
radiation the lower the radiation exposure. This is true under
controlled laboratory conditions but it does not take into account the
effect of changing weather patterns and changing wind conditions. Based
on this theory, and on observations made on the Hiroshima and Nagasaki
victims, doses of radiation were calculated that were deemed to be safe
for humans. According to Dr Gabriel Cousens , radiation effects are
cumulative so there is no such thing as a safe radiation level.
effects of radiation on health are well known. They have been known
since the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings and they can appear
Rather than dwell on the devastating effects
of radiation (which have been documented and can be found on many web
sites), we should be looking at the ways in which we can protect
How the Radiation Protection Diet works
The radiation protection diet can be an effective anti-radiation
treatment and preventative measure. According to Dr Gabriel Cousens 
there are 5 ways in which we can do this:
- Saturating our cells with minerals so that radioactive minerals are less likely to be taken up.
- Eating foods that will adsorb radioactive minerals and allow them to be eliminated through the bowel.
- Using antioxidants to neutralise the free radicals produced in our bodies by radiation.
- Using protective foods and herbs.
- Eating alkalising foods
What to eat
The radiation protection diet is primarily about eating kelp, dulse, other sea vegetables, green leafy vegetables, cabbage, beets, wheatgrass, sprouts, whole grains, nuts, seeds, spirulina, chlorella, garlic, miso, pineapple, watermelon, citrus fruit, siberian ginseng and echinacea which provide:
- All the minerals that our bodies require as well as trace elements and all the vitamins
- Iodine in kelp protects the thyroid gland and the gonads from Iodine-131.
- Calcium protects the bones from Strontium-90
- Potassium protects the muscles, kidneys, liver and reproductive organs from Caesium-137
- Iron in spirulina protects the lungs, liver and gonads from plutonium-239 and radioactive iron
- Zinc protects the bones and gonads from radioactive zinc
- Vitamin B12 protects the liver and reproductive organs from Cobalt-60
- Sulphur protects the skin from radioactive sulphur
- Sea vegetables like kelp, dulse, arame, wakame, kombu and hijiki contain compounds that eliminate radiactive substances from the body. Zeolite supplementation provides a powerful way of removing radioactive substances and other toxins from the body. Green tea does the same thing.
- Antioxidants to remove free radicals
- Highly alkalising foods
- Herbs that protect against radiation (e.g. echinacea)
If you are living in highly contaminated areas you may want to take mineral supplements as well.
Raw Food Diet
A vegan diet seems to be the best suited for protection. However,
cooking destroys proteins (including enzymes), vitamins and minerals
removing the protective effect of the plant-based foods. I will
certainly stick to the
raw food diet. Most people are horrified when they hear about the raw food diet. In
fact, there are a number of people who have specialised in making raw
foods as delicious as cooked foods, even going as far as creating dishes
that taste just like favourite chicken or fish dishes. Russell James
is well-known for his video-based raw food preparation course. For a
more detailed account of the radiation protection diet see Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens.
- Yablokov A V, Nesterenko V B. Chernobyl contamination through
time and space, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 2009;
- Nesterenko A V, Nesterenko V B, Yablokov A V.
Chernobyl radioactive contamination of food and people, Annals of the
New York Academy of Sciences, 2009; 1181:189-302
- Food Standards
Agency, Post-Chernobyl Monitoring and Controls Survey reports,
[Accessed: 15 April 2011]
- Cousens G (2000), "How Diet can protect you from the dangers of radioactive radiation" in Conscious Eating, North Atlantic Books
Reducing Caesium contamination of food products in the Chernobyl area,
Back to Raw Food Diet from Radiation Protection Diet
Back to Home Page