The alkaline diet specifies alkalising foods and those that are considered acidifying. However, there are some foods that are classed as alkalising by some authors and as acidiying by others. You really have to use your own discretion for these. I've listed, below, the alkalising and acidifying foods. Please note that you can still eat acidifying foods. The trick is to make sure that your diet is 70% alkaline and 30% acidifying. I have also listed the foods that are considered mildly acidifying and those that are strongly acidifying.
- Eat a large amount of alkalising foods (raw vegetables) at every meal to neutralise any acid residues 
- You can lightly steam vegetables but you should eat them with a raw vegetable salad.
- Do not completely cut out acid foods. They do provide essential nutrients.
- If you are dealing with serious acid-alkaline imbalances you can go on an all-alkaline diet but for no more than 1 or 2 weeks 
- Never eat meals consisting only of acidifying foods like roast chicken and chips
- Fruit should not be combined with other food types 
- Low sugar fruit such as limes, lemons, tomatoes and avocados can be combined with any meal
- Melons are digested very quickly and should be eaten alone 
- Do not drink water with your meals. Drink it 30 minutes before or 1 hour after the meal.
Alkalising Foods List
- Lemons, limes, grapefruit, avocados, tomatoes and bananas 
- Almonds and brazil nuts
- Sprouted nuts and seeds
- Vegetables especially greens
- Some dried fruit are mildly alkalising ( apricots, bananas, dates and raisins) 
- Herbs, spices and sea salt
- Cold-pressed oils (olive oil, avocado oil, flax seed oil, Udo's Oil Blend)
- Fresh raw butter, fresh buttermilk, raw whole milk
- Green drinks
- Almond milk
- Apple cider vinegar
Mildly Acidifying Foods List
- Barley, buckwheat, oats, brown rice, rye, spelt, whole wheat. Sprouting buckwheat will make it alkalising.
- Yeast-free whole grain bread
- Whole eggs
- Plain yoghurt (organic)
- Chicken, lamb, perch, sole, trout
- Lentils, peas, white beans, kidney beans
- Cashews, coconuts, pine nuts, sesame seeds
- Apples, fresh apricots, blueberries, cherries, fresh figs, grapes, mangoes, melons, plums, pomegranates, sweet strawberries, watermelon
Strongly Acidifying Foods
- White rice, white wheat, yeast bread, white bread
- Heated butter, sweetened yoghurt
- Beef, carp, cold cuts or processed meats, herring, lobster, mackerel, pork, salmon
- Chickpeas, peanuts, soybeans
- Hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts. Sprouting pumpkin or sunflower seeds will make them alkalising.
- Black currents, kiwis, oranges, nectarines, pineapples, raspberries
- Black tea, cocoa, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, soda, carbonated water, whiskey, wine
- Margarine, hydrogenated fats, lard, peanut oil
- Ketchup, mayonnaise, pickles, sugar, vinegars (except apple cider vinegar)
- Sweeteners including agave nectar, yacon syrup
Back to Alkaline Diet from Alkalising Foods
Back to Home Page