Agave nectar or syrup comes from the blue agave (agave tequilana Weber), the plant from which tequila is made. The syrup comes from the core or pina of the plant. This core is exposed by cutting away the plant's sharp pointed leaves.
The pina continues to grow, becoming larger and more ripe . It consists of a liquid containing carbohydrates, fructan, vitamins and amino acids, iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium . The juice is evaporated at low temperatures to produce a syrup  containing large amounts of fructose.
Benefits of Agave Nectar
- Like yacon syrup, which contains fructans, it promotes the growth of friendly bacteria in the colon and improves intestinal health
- It improves glucose tolerance  and is suitable for consumption by diabetics
- It has a low glycaemic index 
- Fructose is sweeter than glucose providing the same sweetness effect for less energy 
- It can be added to cereals and desserts
- It can be added to smoothies and shakes
- It can be used to sweeten tea and other drinks
- It can be used for baking
Back to Raw Food Diet from Agave Nectar
Return to Home Page